Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Freezer Chocolate


Husband and I have been trying to add more fruits and vegetables in our diet and cut out a few more animal products. We don’t want to become vegans (no offense meant to any vegan readers) but we believe there are health benefits to be gained from eating more fruits and vegetables than animal products and we like living cheaper and closer to the bottom of the food chain.

As you may remember, I’m also trying to cut the amount of sugar I consume down to, well, less. I’m embarrassed to admit that I’ve had to resort to incentives to cut down on sugar (I just love it too much, I guess), but Husband has been supportive and smilingly compliant with my ideas for combating low willpower.

A friend of mine shared with me a recipe that she came up with to help combat chocolate cravings and appease the sweet tooth without eating too much sugar.

Freezer Chocolate

Mix equal parts of:

Peanut butter
Butter, melted
Coconut oil, melted
Honey
Cocoa powder

Pour into ice cube trays and freeze. After about one minute in the freezer, pull out and add toothpicks.

I won’t pretend that these are healthy in any sense of the word, other than that they don’t have much sugar. They are, however, rich enough that one is enough. And since I know all of the fats that go into these, I’m usually not inclined to eat more than one anyway!

Freezer chocolates are nice for when you’re at home, but you really do have to eat them right out of the freezer. Because of the peanut butter and coconut oil, they start to go soft pretty quickly after coming out of the freezer.

Mmm. I think I’m going to go have one right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment