Sunday, March 4, 2012

A False Start and Sugar Detox Reviewed

I've been wanting to write a post about infertility that was a little tongue-in-cheek because I think I am far too serious about this topic, but I just can't do it. Maybe I'll be able to look back at myself and laugh in a few years, but right now all I can do is sigh and shake my head.


In fact, I don't even want to talk about it now. Consider that a false start.


I realized that I have neglected to share an update about Husband's and my sugar detox that we undertook for the months of January and February. We finished last weekend, after undergoing a week with zero added sugar or bread products. 


I told my husband after we enjoyed a delicious caramelly pie called 'Crack Pie' on Friday night that I thought the last week of the sugar detox was the easiest week. It was almost as though not getting even a taste of sugar was like switching my sugar cravings into the off position. Nothing was fueling the fire of desire, so to speak.


Honestly, I didn't feel amazing on the sugar detox. At least, I didn't feel any more amazing than I usually do. I may have noticed a slight increase in my overall energy level, but it's hard to say. I did enjoy a lot less guilt while eating on the sugar detox. As I chewed away on my fruit leather instead of a cookie, my brain was telling me, You are so good. You are eating something that will nourish me. Yay!


The sugar detox began the process of ingraining in me the idea that all those sweets that I love so much (cinnamon rolls come to mind ...mmm...) are really empty calories and empty energy. They fill me up and fill me out but they don't feed my body with the nutrients it needs. I've also recently learned that refined sugar is an immune depressant. Lots of good reasons to stay away from excess sugar.


I don't think that Husband has any long-range goals for the sugar detox, but I think, given my current reproductive health, that some long-range goals are in order for me. I'm keeping it simple. Going off of an idea that was shared on another blog (I can't remember which one or I would link to it!), I'm going to limit myself to four 'desserts' per week. Desserts include anything from a cinnamon roll for breakfast to a sweet bread to cookies or cake. I'm also going to try to completely avoid candy. I don't tend to crave candy unless I eat a piece, so I should be pretty successful on that point.


All in all, the sugar detox was a good experience for me. I hopefully have been able to make some life changes from the experiences of the eight weeks. I learned a lot about new ways to cook, ways to cut back on sugar in the things that I do cook, and most importantly, that I can live without chocolate if necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment