Friday, March 16, 2012

A Midnight Clonking


I just about started bawling at the library circulation desk today.

I was sitting comfortably, innocently reading through our new children’s fiction books when I came to one called God Found Us You.  The stage is set for the story with a little white fox saying to a large red fox, “Mama, tell me again about the day I came home.”  

Mama Fox goes on to describe how she had been waiting a long time. She says that she prayed very hard but she still had to wait. (I started getting a little teary-eyed at this point.) Then she says that it was hard for her to see other mamas with their babies. (I started skimming so as not to burst into tears and alarm library patrons.) Suffice it to say, Mama Fox waits and waits and waits, and eventually God gives her a little fox, to whom she is telling this story.

As adoption books go, I wasn’t even that impressed with it. There’s not even any mention of the Papa Fox, although the title, God Found Us You, makes it sound like there should be another parent in the picture.

Why, you may ask, did an adoption story about foxes push me almost to tears?

Sleep deprivation. Sleep deprivation, my friends, is the answer.

I honestly can’t figure out why, but I haven’t slept well since being at Husband’s parents’ house last weekend. Last night I woke up around 3:00 a.m. and laid there, thinking about nothing in particular except the fact that I was very tired until about 4:00 a.m. All nights prior had involved some of the same insomnia, save Monday night.

On Monday night I had trouble falling asleep to begin with. When I finally did fall asleep, I slept fitfully until waking up suddenly to a loud WHAM! I clutched my head and groaned and noticed Husband clutching his head and groaning. We both mumbled an apology to the other before turning over to go back to sleep. The next morning, telling a co-worker about the collision, I was laughing, but at the time, I remember thinking, “Really? When I’m already having trouble sleeping?”

All in all, though, I’m glad Husband and I bonked heads because whenever I think about how our faces must have looked as we groaned and clutched our foreheads, and then both mumbled inarticulate words of apology, I can’t help but laugh. Anything that can afford me that much entertainment is well worth the midnight clonking.

In any case, I haven’t gotten enough sleep this week, and my emotions are proving it!

No comments:

Post a Comment